Avamys contains the active ingredient Fluticasone furoate, and belongs to the group of drugs known as corticosteroids.
Avamys works primarily by reducing the inflammation inside the nasal passages, and also preventing the release of chemicals in the body from triggering an allergic response to irritants such as pollen and dust mites.
The advantages of using Avamys include:
- Relief of runny or itchy nose
- Relief from a blocked nose
- Starts working from 8 hours of administration, and can last for up to 24-hours
If you are using a new Avamys device, there are some preparatory steps to follow before spraying.
Step 1: Shake the nasal spray vigorously for about 10-seconds
Step 2: Remove the cap by squeezing both sides of the cap and lifting
Step 4: Blow your nose to clear the nostrils
Step 5: press the spray button, whilst breathing in through the nose. Hold for a few seconds, and then breathe out through the mouth
Step 6: if the dose is 2-sprays into each nostril, then repeat steps 4 and 5.
Step 7: repeat steps 4-6 for the other nostril
(Keep the spray away from eyes, and if you get any in the eye, rinse immediately with clean water)
If you are using Avamys to treat symptoms of hayfever, it is recommended you start using it a few weeks before the pollen season starts to get the best results.
- Anyone who is allergic to any of the ingredients in Avamys
- If you have a history of liver disease, glaucoma, cataract, or have an infection of the nasal passage, or tuberculosis or have recently has nasal surgery
- Anyone who is on treatment with Ritonavir
- Use with caution in pregnancy and breast-feeding
- Children under the age of 12 should use cautiously, as corticosteroids can impair growth and development
Please speak with a doctor if any of the above applies to you, as there may be other treatments that are more suitable.
As with all medications, Avamys may also cause side effects, although not everyone will get them.
- Sore throat
- Nasal irritation
Other more severe allergic reactions may include:
- Swelling of the lips
- Swelling of the tongue and throat
- Itchy rash across the body and face
Most side effects will disappear soon after starting treatment, however if you experience any longer lasting side effects, we recommend that you contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Avamys nasal spray is available to order online through Access Doctor by simply completing our quick online consultation. This will then be checked by one of our access doctors.
If this treatment is approved for you, it will then be dispatched from our pharmacy for free delivery straight to your door.