- Quick relief of migraine symptoms
- Contains Rizatriptan
- No need for water
Maxalt Melt Wafers
Maxalt Melt wafers contain rizatriptan to reduce migraine headaches at the first sign of the attack.
Take Maxalt Melt without the need to swallow large tablets or liquids.
It is not known what causes migraines. It is thought that migraines are caused by changes in brain activity. The change can temporarily affect blood vessels, chemical messengers, and nerve signals in the brain.
About Maxalt Melt Wafers
What is Maxalt Melt used for?
Migraine attacks can be effectively controlled with Maxalt Melt 10mg Wafers. Rizatriptan, the active ingredient of the drug, can also be found in generic brands such as Rizatriptan orodispersible tablets.
Rizatriptan and other triptan medicines work by reducing inflammation of the blood vessels in the brain. These medicines have been designed specifically to treat migraine symptoms.
Maxalt Melt contains three lyophilized wafers that are placed on the tongue where they quickly dissolve to provide fast-acting relief without the hassle of swallowing tablets.
What is a migraine?
Migraines are a common complaint in the UK. Women are more likely to suffer the pain (25%) than men (8%). It is believed that migraines may be inherited at least partly, meaning that if someone in your close family suffers from the condition, you may also be more susceptible.
Migraine attacks can be debilitating for sufferers who experience severe attacks, potentially causing nausea as well as an aversion to strong light, noise, and smell.
In about one out of four cases, migraine sufferers experience some form of warning sign before they experience an attack. This is called an aura. Auras may be accompanied by visual cues, such as blurred or distorted vision. Maxalt Melt will relieve migraines regardless of whether an aura is present. A silent migraine occurs when there is an aura but no migraine.
Migraines can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- An unbalanced diet
- sleep deprivation
- Some women regularly suffer from migraine attacks during their monthly period.
Most migraine attacks last for a few hours, but more severe cases may last up to three days. You may feel fatigued for several days after a migraine has subsided.
How do Maxalt Melts work?
Migraine episodes are not fully understood as to what causes them. The throbbing sensation is thought to be caused by the dilation (widening) of blood vessels in the brain.
The active ingredient in Maxalt Melt is rizatriptan, a serotonin (5HT) agonist. 5-HT agonists stimulate the brain's serotonin receptors.
As 5HTs mimic the effects of serotonin, they narrow dilated blood vessels, thus relieving migraine pain.
How quickly do Maxalt Melts work?
Maxalt Melt is most effective when taken at the onset of a migraine. It usually takes about 30 minutes to take effect. However, the medication's active ingredient, rizatriptan, is not guaranteed to work for everyone - if you find this medicine ineffective, you might want to consider an alternative.
Medicines containing triptans do not prevent migraines, but they are safe to use in conjunction with prevention.
Maxalt Melt warnings
You should not use Maxalt Wafers if:
- If you are allergic to rizatriptan benzoate or any of the other ingredients in this medication, then do not use this medication.
- You have high blood pressure
- You have had a heart attack or stroke, or you show any signs of heart disease
- You have liver disease
- You have severe kidney problems
- You are using monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) antidepressants
- You are taking other 'triptan' medicines
- You are taking other migraine treatments (e.g. ergotamine or its derivatives, methysergide)
Consult your doctor before taking Maxalt Wafers if you:
- You have a high risk of heart disease (e.g. you smoke, have high blood pressure, or are diabetic)
- Have problems with your heart rhythm
- Take St. John's wort
- If you have a history of severe allergies
- You are taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) or a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) for depression
- Feel dizzy or uncoordinated along with your headache
- Sometimes feel tight in the chest
Please read all packaging and the "Patient Information Leaflet" before taking any kind of medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
Maxalt Melt directions
Maxalt Wafers are most effective when taken at the beginning of a migraine attack, but they can also be taken later on in the episode.
- Place one wafer on your tongue and allow it to dissolve completely.
- A second dose should not be taken for at least 2 hours if the first is not effective.
- Do not take more than three wafers (30 mg) in 24 hours.
Maxalt Melt side effects
When taking Maxalt Wafers, not everyone will experience side effects. However, if you do, these may include:
- tingling sensation
- further headache
- difficulty sleeping
- heart palpitations
- sore throat
- neck pain
- decreased sensitivity of the skin
- abdominal pain
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if any of these effects bother you, or if you notice any other effects from this product.
DocumentationPatient Information Leaflet
We’re here to help.
Our friendly team is available to help Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm.
If you need urgent assistance, do not use this service. Call 111, or in an emergency call 999.