- Reduces eye inflammation
- For symptoms
- Relieves itchy irritable
Optilast Eye Drops
Optilast is an antihistamine used in the treatment of allergic conditions of the eye. It works by reducing the intensity of the allergic reaction.
About Optilast Eye Drops
What is Optilast?
Optilast eye drops are used for the treatment of hay fever symptoms by blocking the action of histamine.
How does it work?
Optilast eye drops contain the active ingredient azelastine hydrochloride, which is a type of medicine called an antihistamine. It works by preventing the actions of histamine.
Histamine is a substance produced by the body as part of its defence mechanisms when it reacts to a foreign substances (known as an allergen, eg flower or grass pollen). It can cause reactions that results in allergic symptoms.
How should I use Optilast?
Always use Optilast exactly as your doctor has instructed you and read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack.
- Wash your hands well before you use the drops.
- Open the bottle and tilt your head back.
- Pull down your eyelid with a clean finger, until there is a ‘pocket’ between the eyelid and your eye.
- Bring the bottle tip close to the eye. Use the mirror if it helps. Try not to touch your eye as you do this.
- Gently press on the base of the bottle to release one drop of Optilast at a time.
- Close your eye for a minute or two, and press gently on the side of your nose where the corner of your eye meets your nose. This helps to stop the drop from draining away and keeps it in your eye.
- If a drop misses your eye, try again.
- Repeat the process in your other eye if you have been told to use the drops in both eyes.
- Put the cap back on the bottle.
What if I forget to take Optilast?
If you occasionally forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember that day and then carry on as normal.
If you forget to take a dose for the whole day, skip the missed dose and take your next dose the next day at the usual time, never take 2 doses at the same time and never take extra doses.
If you often forget doses, may be useful to set an alarm as a reminder.
What if you take too much Optilast?
Rinse it all out with warm water. Do not put in any more drops until it’s time for your next regular dose.
How long should I use Optilast for?
Treatment is usually for 4 to 6 weeks. The benefits will continue as long as you take it during that period unless advised by your doctor.
Can I stop using Optilast?
Do not stop using this medicine without first speaking to your doctor. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Is Optilast safe?
Optilast is thought to be very safe and effective medicines.
Is Optilast addictive?
There is no evidence that shows optilast is addictive.
How should I store optilast?
Always keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children. Don’t use it after its expiry date. Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
You should throw away the bottle four weeks after you first opened it to prevent infections, and use a new bottle. Write down the date you opened it in the space on each bottle label and box.
Is it safe to drive after using Optilast?
You may find that your vision is blurred for a time just after you use Optilast. Do not drive or use machines until this has worn off.
Side effects & precautions
Optilast should only be used after a consultation with a doctor as it can cause serious side-effects especially people in the following conditions.
- If you are allergic to optilast
- If you are contact lens wearer, you should remove contact lenses that are in your eyes before using Optilast.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Children under the age of 4 years shouldn’t use Optilast.
Optilast is generally a very safe medicine but like all, optilast can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Some of the common side effects include:
- Eye pain
- Eye irritation
- Dry eye
- Bad taste
How can I buy Optilast online?
You can safely buy Optilast from Access Doctor after completing a quick online health evaluation. One of our prescribers will then check that the treatment is safe and suitable for your condition, and our pharmacy team will then process and dispatch your order.
We’re here to help.
Our friendly team is available to help Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm.
If you need urgent assistance, do not use this service. Call 111, or in an emergency call 999.